NAMI Maine Family Respite funds allotted to families for respite equal a maximum of 192 hours per year or 48 hours per quarter. Parents and guardians may choose to use their quarterly respite evenly spaced out over the quarter or several hours in one month and very little the next. Care may be provided overnight or for periods longer than ten hours, but is paid at a maximum daily rate of 10 hours,( 10 hour day rate).
NAMI Maine Family Respite is intended to be a planned break for parents - pre-arranged with the NAMI Maine Family certified provider. NAMI Maine Certified providers should take time to get to know the children and families, and parents are encouraged to invest time in training their NAMI Maine certified providers about their child's specific needs before NAMI Maine respite occurs.
NAMI Maine Family Respite may be used for personal appointments, time with friends or family, or just time alone. NAMI Maine Family Respite cannot be used while parents are working as this is considered day care. (If it comes to the attention of the NAMI Maine Family Respite Program Director that respite is being used for this purpose, bills will not be approved for payment.) Some of the ways that families utilize respite are as follows:
1. In-Home NAMI Maine Family Respite:
In-home NAMI Maine Family Respite is offered in the home on a regular or on-call basis, usually as hourly respite, for short periods of time of ten hours or less. Family members may or may not be at home during this time.
Advantages of in-home NAMI Maine Family Respite include:
- You do not have to arrange transportation for the child or for any special equipment needed
- The child does not have to adjust to a new environment
- Other children in the family can be cared for at the same time (if mutually agreed upon with the respite provider. Parents are responsible for payment of siblings not covered by the program)
2. Out-of-Home NAMI Maine Family Respite:
Out-of-home NAMI Maine Family Respite can be provided in any setting outside the family's home. The kinds of out-of-home NAMI Maine Family Respite offered varies, and can take place in settings such as the providers' home, churches, day-care centers or in the child's community at parks or playgrounds.
Advantages of out-of-home NAMI Maine Family Respite include:
- Opportunities to interact with other children and adults
- When the child has out-of-home NAMI Maine Family Respite, family members can "take a break" but still be able to be at home
3. Overnight NAMI Maine Family Respite:
Overnight NAMI respite care may take place in either the child's home or a provider's home. However, a child cannot be cared for in a provider's home for a continuous period of more than 23 hours unless that provider has a Department of Human Services license. Periods of overnight care will be paid at a 10-hour maximum limit even though the child may receive care for longer than 10 hours.
Advantages of overnight NAMI Maine Family Respite include:
- the family is able to have an extended family break
- the child has an opportunity to experience a longer time away from his/her family
The program's ability to cover unplanned events or emergencies is extremely limited and families are encouraged not to utilize their NAMI Maine Family Respite in this way if at all possible.
|< Prev||Next >|