Caregiving styles fall roughly into three categories. Do you recognize your style?
- Do you find yourself saying to your kids, "Do it because I said so"?
- Are you constantly telling your kids what to do to keep them in line, and keep in control?
- Do you think, "If I don't control the kids, the kids will not be able to control themselves"?
- Do you want your kids to view you as nice caregivers-as friends?
- Do you have difficulty setting and maintaining limits and expectations, providing structure, and enforcing rules?
- Do you balance kindness with firmness?
- Do you require mutual respect between you and the children?
- Do you take the time to listen and understand how the children feel?
- Do you work together with children to solve problems?
- Do you balance your own needs with the child's needs?